6.5 grendel

Talk about anything

Moderators: Hillbilly, MGM-Kerry, Csbishop, OhioCruffler, coyotewallace

6.5 grendel

Postby akula682 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:14 am

going to buy a 6.5 grendel barrel here and was looking for opinions/reasons for a particular barrel length. pro's/con's for a 20"

also what kind of forend would i need for the octogon barrel?
josh... working in Afghanistan for a while.
akula682

Postby MGM-Kerry » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:05 pm

I have no experience with the caliber or the lengths. Our forend configuration would be the same as a fullbull or standard factory barrel. We do it certain way so you can still use the same forends, and it looks and functions good.

You can bed it if you like, but it isn't necessary.

Thanks!

Kerry
MGM-Kerry
Site Admin

Postby BlueK9 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:08 pm

You'll enjoy the Grendel. It's a great deer-sized game cartridge. Mine is a 17" MGM barrel with a 1-8" twist. I primarily shoot the factory 120-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip load from Alexander Arms. This barrel is my most accurate Encore or Contender barrel. Groups routinely run in the .3s. I'm getting 2485 fps from this load, which is actually over the published velocity of 2376. Go figure.

You'll get a little less muzzle flip and noise as you go longer with the barrel. Recoil is negligible with this cartridge so a longer, heavier barrel isn't needed to manage it. In the end, it's all about how a given length handles for you. Personally, I like the in-field handling characteristics of short barrels. They are quick to shoulder and easy to get out of blind openings, which is how I mostly hunt. Plus, I generally get better accuracy out of short, fat barrels as they are stiffer.

Good shooting,
Jaye
BlueK9

Return to General Discussion